LUTCZA - Church of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven

The village of Lutcza appears in historical records already in the 14th century as Lustscha, its former name. It is mentioned by a document published in Skoki, on the 5th of October 1390, signed by King Władysław II Jagiełło. The village passed from the hands of one magnate to another, and in the years 1795–1918 it was Austrian territory at the time of Partitions. Once Poland regained independence, Lutcza became a part of the Lviv Voivodship.

3D WalkHistory

CHURCH

IN LUTCZA

The route of old Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches in Poland does not only constitute an occasion to see beautiful monuments but it is also a journey into the depths of history, to its truly remote parts. The village of Lutcza appears in historical records already in the 14th century as Lustscha, its former name. It is mentioned by a document published in Skoki, on the 5th of October 1390, signed by King Władysław II Jagiełło. The village passed from the hands of one magnate to another, and in the years 1795–1918 it was Austrian territory at the time of Partitions. Once Poland regained independence, Lutcza became a part of the Lviv Voivodship. After World War II, it remained on the territory of Poland and now, in accordance with the administrative division, it is a part of the Podkarpacie Voivodship.

The previously mentioned document from 1390 provides for a piece of land to be designated for a church but there is no proof that a church was built here in the 14th century. However, we can find a sentence about Lutcza from the 15th century as follows: “a village with a wooden parish church of the Birth of the Holy Virgin Mary”. This significant passage is taken from the chronicle of Jan Długosz. Most likely, around the middle of the 15th century, a small wooden church was built within the parish. With time, thanks to the efforts of the faithful and parish priests, it has been changing its structure. Already in the 1st half of the 16th century a sacristy made of stone was added. During consecutive centuries, a tower was also added and reinforced with vertical beams (lisice). Contrary to all appearances, this name has nothing to do with animals (lis – a fox). It is the name of a reinforcing technique used in the construction of wooden structures. It consists in placing two vertical elements, also called tongs, which, pulled together with screws, embrace a wall made of logs or posts.

In 1670, the church was partially destroyed by fire but was rebuilt and renovated, even though the works were finalised only 52 years after the incident. It is in 1722 that the following elements were added: a ceiling with a cove, side beams extended along the nave (zaskrzynienia), a roof with a ridge turret and windows in the nave.

Near this beautiful church with interesting interior decorations we can find other sites to visit. There are 3 cemeteries in the vicinity and the oldest most likely dates back to 1784. This cemetery is located in Małówka. The second one is in Strzyżów. People were buried there until 1965, when burials were transferred to the new parish church with a new cemetery. The oldest grave of this graveyard dates back to 1922. Finally, the third graveyard, which after enlargement, has been in use until this day.

When you visit Lutcza, you should definitely follow the route of ancient wayside shrines. There is approximately 60 of them and they are divided into different kinds. These shrines can be found all over the place so they can create a great walking route. The biggest wayside shrine can be found at the oldest cemetery – in Małówka.

It was erected around 1898 and founded by Count Łoś after the death of his wife Helena, born Straszewska. In the south-east corner stands the tombstone of Jadwiga Straszewska, who died in 1890 and was moved here from the cemetery. On the southern wall the following plaque can be found “Late countess Helena Łoś born Straszewska”, whereas on the northern wall another plaque is placed which reads “Late Kanty Wolski resting in this cemetery, born in 1801 and died in 1867”.

The second biggest wayside shrine is the one dedicated to the Holy Cross and located on the territory which belonged to the estate. This structure made of stone used to be covered with polychromy, but today it is difficult to date them. The other wayside shrines are equally interesting with many secrets and stories to be told. We recommend following this route!

Sources:

LUTCZA - Church of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven

COFUNDED BY THE MINISTER OF CULTURE AND NATIONAL HERITAGE
ORIGINATING FROM CULTURE PROMOTION FUND

Check other objects

ŁYSE – Church of St. Anne

ŁYSE – Church of St. Anne

JASŁO – Collegiate Church of the Assumption of Our Lady

JASŁO – Collegiate Church of the Assumption of Our Lady

KRAMARZEWO – Filial Church of St. Barbara

KRAMARZEWO – Filial Church of St. Barbara

WIZNA – Church of St. John the Baptist

WIZNA – Church of St. John the Baptist

PORĘBY DYMARSKIE – Church of SS. Stanislaus and St. Adalbert

PORĘBY DYMARSKIE – Church of SS. Stanislaus and St. Adalbert

LACHOWICE – Church of SS. Peter and Paul

LACHOWICE – Church of SS. Peter and Paul

KLECZKOWO – Church of St. Lawrence

KLECZKOWO – Church of St. Lawrence

LUTCZA – Church of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven

LUTCZA – Church of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven

KRZECZÓW – Church of St. Adalbert

KRZECZÓW – Church of St. Adalbert

BEREST – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

BEREST – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

ŁOPUSZNA – Church of the Holy Trinity and St. Anthony the Abbot

ŁOPUSZNA – Church of the Holy Trinity and St. Anthony the Abbot

JURGÓW – Church of St. Sebastian and of Our Lady of the Rosary

JURGÓW – Church of St. Sebastian and of Our Lady of the Rosary

SZEBNIE – Church of St. Martin

SZEBNIE – Church of St. Martin

GOGOŁÓW – Church of St. Catherine

GOGOŁÓW – Church of St. Catherine

BARCICE – Church of St. Stanislaus

BARCICE – Church of St. Stanislaus

MAŁA – Church of St. Michael the Archangel

MAŁA – Church of St. Michael the Archangel

SIENIAWA – Church of St. Anthony

SIENIAWA – Church of St. Anthony

CMOLAS – Hospital Church of the Transfiguration of Jesus

CMOLAS – Hospital Church of the Transfiguration of Jesus

CIBORY-KOŁACZKI – Filial Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

CIBORY-KOŁACZKI – Filial Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

ROPICA GÓRNA – Orthodox Church of St. Michael the Archangel

ROPICA GÓRNA – Orthodox Church of St. Michael the Archangel

TRZCINICA – Church of St. Dorothy

TRZCINICA – Church of St. Dorothy

GŁADYSZÓW – Orthodox Church of the Ascension

GŁADYSZÓW – Orthodox Church of the Ascension

BANICA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

BANICA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

MĘCINA WIELKA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

MĘCINA WIELKA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

PĘTNA – Orthodox Church of Saint Paraskeva of the Balkans

PĘTNA – Orthodox Church of Saint Paraskeva of the Balkans

BONARÓWKA – Orthodox Church of the Protection of Our Lady

BONARÓWKA – Orthodox Church of the Protection of Our Lady

CIECHOCINEK – Collegiate Church of SS. Peter and Paul the Apostles

CIECHOCINEK – Collegiate Church of SS. Peter and Paul the Apostles

ORAWKA – Church of St. John the Baptist

ORAWKA – Church of St. John the Baptist

ŁANKIEJMY – Roman Catholic church St. John the Baptist

ŁANKIEJMY – Roman Catholic church St. John the Baptist

PARYS – Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

PARYS – Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

KRASKOWO – Church of Częstochowa Mother Of Divine

KRASKOWO – Church of Częstochowa Mother Of Divine

KORSZE – The Roman-Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

KORSZE – The Roman-Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

KONARY – The Roman-Catholic Church of Holy Trinity

KONARY – The Roman-Catholic Church of Holy Trinity

CZERNIKI – Church of  St. John the Evangelist

CZERNIKI – Church of St. John the Evangelist

KAROLEWO – The Parish of St. Stanisław Kostka

KAROLEWO – The Parish of St. Stanisław Kostka

FLORYNKA – Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

FLORYNKA – Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

WARSAW – Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish

WARSAW – Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish

CHOTELEK – Church of St. Stanislaus the Bishop

CHOTELEK – Church of St. Stanislaus the Bishop

ULUCZ – Orthodox Church of Ascension of the Lord

ULUCZ – Orthodox Church of Ascension of the Lord

SROMOWCE NIŻNE – Church of St. Catherine

SROMOWCE NIŻNE – Church of St. Catherine

CHOTEL CZERWONY – Church of St. Bartholomew

CHOTEL CZERWONY – Church of St. Bartholomew

PTASZKOWA – All Saints’ Church

PTASZKOWA – All Saints’ Church

GORYSŁAWICE – Church of St. Lawrence

GORYSŁAWICE – Church of St. Lawrence

TYMOWA – Church of St. Nicholas the Bishop

TYMOWA – Church of St. Nicholas the Bishop

Dobrowoda – St. Mary Magdalene Church

Dobrowoda – St. Mary Magdalene Church

NOWY SĄCZ – St. Helen’s Church

NOWY SĄCZ – St. Helen’s Church

ŁUKOWICA – Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

ŁUKOWICA – Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

Kielce – Catholic church of the Transfiguration of the Lord

Kielce – Catholic church of the Transfiguration of the Lord

LIPNICA MUROWANA – Church. St. Leonard (UNESCO)

LIPNICA MUROWANA – Church. St. Leonard (UNESCO)

KWIATOŃ – Orthodox church of St. Paraskieva

KWIATOŃ – Orthodox church of St. Paraskieva

Rożnowice – the Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

Rożnowice – the Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

Brunary – Orthodox church of St. Of Archangel Michael

Brunary – Orthodox church of St. Of Archangel Michael

Imielno – Church of St. Nicholas and the Most Blessed Virgin Mary

Imielno – Church of St. Nicholas and the Most Blessed Virgin Mary

PRZYDONICA – the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary

PRZYDONICA – the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary

IWKOWA – Church of Visitation of the Virgin Mary

IWKOWA – Church of Visitation of the Virgin Mary

Church of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Rajbrot

Church of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Rajbrot

Wierchomla Wielka – Orthodox church. St. Of Archangel Michael

Wierchomla Wielka – Orthodox church. St. Of Archangel Michael

ZAGOŚĆ – Church of St. John the Baptist

ZAGOŚĆ – Church of St. John the Baptist

Sławęcin – the Church of St. Catherine

Sławęcin – the Church of St. Catherine

Grywałd – Church of St. Martin the Bishop

Grywałd – Church of St. Martin the Bishop

Church of St. Archangel Michael in Dębno Podhalańskie

Church of St. Archangel Michael in Dębno Podhalańskie

DUBNE Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

DUBNE Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

Powroźnik – Orthodox church St. James the Younger Apostle (UNESCO)

Powroźnik – Orthodox church St. James the Younger Apostle (UNESCO)

Gosprzydowa – the Church of St. Ursula and her companions

Gosprzydowa – the Church of St. Ursula and her companions

Odporyszów – Shrine of Our Lady of Victory

Odporyszów – Shrine of Our Lady of Victory

TROPIE – Sanctuary of the Hermits St. Świerad and St. Benedict

TROPIE – Sanctuary of the Hermits St. Świerad and St. Benedict

SĘKOWA – St. Philip and St. Jacob’s Church

SĘKOWA – St. Philip and St. Jacob’s Church

WIŚLICA – Bazylika kolegiacka pw. Narodzenia Najświętszej Marii Panny

WIŚLICA – Bazylika kolegiacka pw. Narodzenia Najświętszej Marii Panny

MNICHÓW-The Church of St. Stephen Deacon and Martyr

MNICHÓW-The Church of St. Stephen Deacon and Martyr

PROBOŁOWICE St. James’s church

PROBOŁOWICE St. James’s church

Accessibility
Facebook3k
YouTube220