CZERNIKI - Church of St. John the Evangelist
The church in Czerniki (Gothic style) was built in the 14th century in the location of Prussian holy grove. It is an aisleless church with a sacristy, porch and a tower on the northern side. The church was rebuilt in 1749-1750 and in 1771-1772. In 1886 a neo-Gothic tower was added, while the sacristy and porch were added at the end of the 19th century. After the Reformation, the church in Czerniki became an evangelical temple until 1945. The first catholic mass was held there on December the 27th, 1945. The church was dedicated by priest Wacław Radziwon to St. John the Evangelist and Our Lady of the Scapular.
Then some necessary renovations were carried out in the church. The main altar was changed – in the place of the stained glass window a crucifix of unknown origin from the end of the 15th century was installed.