PĘTNA - Orthodox Church of Saint Paraskeva of the Balkans
This church was erected to replace an old, wooden Orthodox church which was, unfortunately, pulled down in 1935. The predecessor of the brick church was built in 1700 and the only thing left of it is the bell tower of the new church, which can still be admired.
A small and truly charming brick Orthodox church was built in Pętna in 1916. The building was made in the Byzantine style with cross-plan structure and central positioning of the only dome.
This church was erected to replace an old, wooden Orthodox church which was, unfortunately, pulled down in 1935. The predecessor of the brick church was built in 1700 and the only thing left of it is the bell tower of the new church, which can still be admired. It is located next to the church and stands out due to its post-frame construction with inclined walls planked vertically with moulding.
The upper storey of the bell tower is much lower and is used as a bell mezzanine. Outside, it is marked with eaves. The building is covered with a tented roof made of shingles with a characteristic onion-shaped top. The entrance is adorned with a double battened and ledged door. In this type of doors, a special technique was used to join wooden battens. It consisted in placing a cut slat called a ledge by sliding it. This solution turned out to be very practical, as it allowed the wood to behave naturally, protected it from warping and prevented the door leaf from lowering. In Poland it was used from the 13th century onto the 19th. Conservator-restorers are still using this technique in their work. The wooden bell tower is a part of the Wooden Architecture Route in the Małopolska Region.
Inside the white Orthodox church, it is possible to see the 19th century iconostasis. It is composed of icons representing several styles. The presence of two crosses dedicated to the anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus’ has to be stressed. One of the two crosses, from 1938, was erected in token of the 950th anniversary of the Christianisation of “the Rus’ – Ukraine”. It is the only such cross in the Lemkos region where the name Ukraine was used. Other crosses, numerously erected at this occasion, referred to Rus’ or Kievan Rus’. The inscription on the Orthodox church indicates that it is subordinated to the Greek Catholic parish in Komańcza. In 1947, this sacred place of worship was taken over by the Catholics.
PĘTNA | Orthodox Church of Saint Paraskeva of the Balkans
COFUNDED BY THE MINISTER OF CULTURE AND NATIONAL HERITAGE
ORIGINATING FROM CULTURE PROMOTION FUND