SZEBNIE - Church of St. Martin

The charming church that we are presenting here was erected in 1605, however, this is not the first church in this parish. The history of evangelisation started in this place three centuries earlier. The first Christian church in Szebnie was built in 1326, but it did not last until our time, just like its four successors. They were destroyed by fire.

3D WalkHistory

CHURCH

IN SZEBNIE

The first mention of this village comes from the 12th century. The documents prepared by Gilo of Toucy, a papal legate, indicate that Szebnie was a part of the Benedictine monastery in Tyniec. The papal clerk was staying at that time in Cracow and worked with the consent of King Bolesław the Wry-mouthed.

The charming church that we are presenting here was erected in 1605, however, this is not the first church in this parish. The history of evangelisation started in this place three centuries earlier. The first Christian church in Szebnie was built in 1326, but it did not last until our time, just like its four successors. They were destroyed by fire.

These territories saw many armed conflicts that ravaged the region. The village itself was destroyed in the 17th century by consecutive invasions of the Tatars, the Swedes and the Hungarians. In consequence, the church from 1605 was damaged but it had more luck than the previous structures.

The structure was renewed in 1759 and its thorough renovation 35 years later was funded by wealthy owners of the Szebnie village. At that time, a brass chandelier, that we can admire today, was installed in the church. Also, the church was fitted with the painting of St. Teresa, whereas the second bell was purchased in 1820. The parish was consecrated in 1855 by Franciszek Wierzchlejski, the bishop of Przemyśl himself.

The brick bell tower located next to the church was built at the end of the 19th century, as the old one was about to collapse. At the same time, the whole church underwent a major renovation, which affected the shape of its entire structure. The nave was elongated, extensions were added on the sides as well as a presbytery.

New polychromies inside were executed by Jan Wodyński in 1943. Two years later the church was again severely affected by the operations on the World War II front. Then again, thanks to the involvement of priests and the faithful, this sacred place of worship was saved. The roof and the altars were repaired and, in 1957, a new polychromy was executed by Stanisław Szmuc. The last refurbishment of the church was carried out in the years 2012-2013.

When visiting the church, it is worth paying attention to beautiful stained-glass windows depicting important figures from the history of the Church. Among them, you can find Father Jerzy Popiełuszko, St. Faustina, St. Francis, St. Klara, St. Thomas, St. Peter, St. Paul or St. Bartholomew. Finally, there is also a stained-glass window dedicated to St. John Paul II.

Sources:

SZEBNIE | Church of St. Martin

COFUNDED BY THE MINISTER OF CULTURE AND NATIONAL HERITAGE
ORIGINATING FROM CULTURE PROMOTION FUND

Check other objects

ŁYSE – Church of St. Anne

ŁYSE – Church of St. Anne

JASŁO – Collegiate Church of the Assumption of Our Lady

JASŁO – Collegiate Church of the Assumption of Our Lady

KRAMARZEWO – Filial Church of St. Barbara

KRAMARZEWO – Filial Church of St. Barbara

WIZNA – Church of St. John the Baptist

WIZNA – Church of St. John the Baptist

PORĘBY DYMARSKIE – Church of SS. Stanislaus and St. Adalbert

PORĘBY DYMARSKIE – Church of SS. Stanislaus and St. Adalbert

LACHOWICE – Church of SS. Peter and Paul

LACHOWICE – Church of SS. Peter and Paul

KLECZKOWO – Church of St. Lawrence

KLECZKOWO – Church of St. Lawrence

LUTCZA – Church of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven

LUTCZA – Church of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven

KRZECZÓW – Church of St. Adalbert

KRZECZÓW – Church of St. Adalbert

BEREST – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

BEREST – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

ŁOPUSZNA – Church of the Holy Trinity and St. Anthony the Abbot

ŁOPUSZNA – Church of the Holy Trinity and St. Anthony the Abbot

JURGÓW – Church of St. Sebastian and of Our Lady of the Rosary

JURGÓW – Church of St. Sebastian and of Our Lady of the Rosary

SZEBNIE – Church of St. Martin

SZEBNIE – Church of St. Martin

GOGOŁÓW – Church of St. Catherine

GOGOŁÓW – Church of St. Catherine

BARCICE – Church of St. Stanislaus

BARCICE – Church of St. Stanislaus

MAŁA – Church of St. Michael the Archangel

MAŁA – Church of St. Michael the Archangel

SIENIAWA – Church of St. Anthony

SIENIAWA – Church of St. Anthony

CMOLAS – Hospital Church of the Transfiguration of Jesus

CMOLAS – Hospital Church of the Transfiguration of Jesus

CIBORY-KOŁACZKI – Filial Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

CIBORY-KOŁACZKI – Filial Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

ROPICA GÓRNA – Orthodox Church of St. Michael the Archangel

ROPICA GÓRNA – Orthodox Church of St. Michael the Archangel

TRZCINICA – Church of St. Dorothy

TRZCINICA – Church of St. Dorothy

GŁADYSZÓW – Orthodox Church of the Ascension

GŁADYSZÓW – Orthodox Church of the Ascension

BANICA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

BANICA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

MĘCINA WIELKA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

MĘCINA WIELKA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

PĘTNA – Orthodox Church of Saint Paraskeva of the Balkans

PĘTNA – Orthodox Church of Saint Paraskeva of the Balkans

BONARÓWKA – Orthodox Church of the Protection of Our Lady

BONARÓWKA – Orthodox Church of the Protection of Our Lady

CIECHOCINEK – Collegiate Church of SS. Peter and Paul the Apostles

CIECHOCINEK – Collegiate Church of SS. Peter and Paul the Apostles

ORAWKA – Church of St. John the Baptist

ORAWKA – Church of St. John the Baptist

ŁANKIEJMY – Roman Catholic church St. John the Baptist

ŁANKIEJMY – Roman Catholic church St. John the Baptist

PARYS – Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

PARYS – Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

KRASKOWO – Church of Częstochowa Mother Of Divine

KRASKOWO – Church of Częstochowa Mother Of Divine

KORSZE – The Roman-Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

KORSZE – The Roman-Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

KONARY – The Roman-Catholic Church of Holy Trinity

KONARY – The Roman-Catholic Church of Holy Trinity

CZERNIKI – Church of  St. John the Evangelist

CZERNIKI – Church of St. John the Evangelist

KAROLEWO – The Parish of St. Stanisław Kostka

KAROLEWO – The Parish of St. Stanisław Kostka

FLORYNKA – Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

FLORYNKA – Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

WARSAW – Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish

WARSAW – Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish

CHOTELEK – Church of St. Stanislaus the Bishop

CHOTELEK – Church of St. Stanislaus the Bishop

ULUCZ – Orthodox Church of Ascension of the Lord

ULUCZ – Orthodox Church of Ascension of the Lord

SROMOWCE NIŻNE – Church of St. Catherine

SROMOWCE NIŻNE – Church of St. Catherine

CHOTEL CZERWONY – Church of St. Bartholomew

CHOTEL CZERWONY – Church of St. Bartholomew

PTASZKOWA – All Saints’ Church

PTASZKOWA – All Saints’ Church

GORYSŁAWICE – Church of St. Lawrence

GORYSŁAWICE – Church of St. Lawrence

TYMOWA – Church of St. Nicholas the Bishop

TYMOWA – Church of St. Nicholas the Bishop

Dobrowoda – St. Mary Magdalene Church

Dobrowoda – St. Mary Magdalene Church

NOWY SĄCZ – St. Helen’s Church

NOWY SĄCZ – St. Helen’s Church

ŁUKOWICA – Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

ŁUKOWICA – Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

Kielce – Catholic church of the Transfiguration of the Lord

Kielce – Catholic church of the Transfiguration of the Lord

LIPNICA MUROWANA – Church. St. Leonard (UNESCO)

LIPNICA MUROWANA – Church. St. Leonard (UNESCO)

KWIATOŃ – Orthodox church of St. Paraskieva

KWIATOŃ – Orthodox church of St. Paraskieva

Rożnowice – the Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

Rożnowice – the Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

Brunary – Orthodox church of St. Of Archangel Michael

Brunary – Orthodox church of St. Of Archangel Michael

Imielno – Church of St. Nicholas and the Most Blessed Virgin Mary

Imielno – Church of St. Nicholas and the Most Blessed Virgin Mary

PRZYDONICA – the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary

PRZYDONICA – the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary

IWKOWA – Church of Visitation of the Virgin Mary

IWKOWA – Church of Visitation of the Virgin Mary

Church of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Rajbrot

Church of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Rajbrot

Wierchomla Wielka – Orthodox church. St. Of Archangel Michael

Wierchomla Wielka – Orthodox church. St. Of Archangel Michael

ZAGOŚĆ – Church of St. John the Baptist

ZAGOŚĆ – Church of St. John the Baptist

Sławęcin – the Church of St. Catherine

Sławęcin – the Church of St. Catherine

Grywałd – Church of St. Martin the Bishop

Grywałd – Church of St. Martin the Bishop

Church of St. Archangel Michael in Dębno Podhalańskie

Church of St. Archangel Michael in Dębno Podhalańskie

DUBNE Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

DUBNE Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

Powroźnik – Orthodox church St. James the Younger Apostle (UNESCO)

Powroźnik – Orthodox church St. James the Younger Apostle (UNESCO)

Gosprzydowa – the Church of St. Ursula and her companions

Gosprzydowa – the Church of St. Ursula and her companions

Odporyszów – Shrine of Our Lady of Victory

Odporyszów – Shrine of Our Lady of Victory

TROPIE – Sanctuary of the Hermits St. Świerad and St. Benedict

TROPIE – Sanctuary of the Hermits St. Świerad and St. Benedict

SĘKOWA – St. Philip and St. Jacob’s Church

SĘKOWA – St. Philip and St. Jacob’s Church

WIŚLICA – Bazylika kolegiacka pw. Narodzenia Najświętszej Marii Panny

WIŚLICA – Bazylika kolegiacka pw. Narodzenia Najświętszej Marii Panny

MNICHÓW-The Church of St. Stephen Deacon and Martyr

MNICHÓW-The Church of St. Stephen Deacon and Martyr

PROBOŁOWICE St. James’s church

PROBOŁOWICE St. James’s church

Accessibility
Facebook3k
YouTube220