ZAGOŚĆ – Church of St. John the Baptist

The twelfth-century church of St. John the Baptist in Zagość is located in the center of the village, in the middle of a rectangle-resembling square, surrounded by a stone wall. It is a valuable example of the Romanesque architecture in Poland.
3D WALKHISTORY

CHURCH

IN ZAGOŚĆ

The twelfth-century church of St. John the Baptist in Zagość is located in the center of the village, in the middle of a rectangle-resembling square, surrounded by a stone wall. It is a valuable example of the Romanesque architecture in Poland. Its origins are linked to the Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, who were brought into this land by the Duke Henry of Sandomierz while he was returning from a crusade. In about 1166, he established a monastery and funded a hospital in Zagość for them. The temple, partly preserved to present day, was probably built by the Knights of the Order in the 60s and 70s of the twelfth century. After 1317 the monastery declined, and after 1321 the monks handed the commandery over to the diocese of Włocławek.

The first recorded reference to the parish dates back to 1335. In the fourteenth century, the church was extended and rebuilt in the Gothic style: the nave and the chancel were lengthened, the ceiling was raised and the windows were made higher. The temple owes its present-day appearance to king Casimir the Great who was the founder of the investment. In the fifteenth century a sacristy was added. Side walls of the chancel and the nave, with their rich, stone decor, constitute the elements preserved from the Romanesque church. In 1667 the temple was re-consecrated.
In the early twentieth century the church was enlarged: among others, a chapel and a porch were added, and a sacristy from the south side, whereas the nave was extended towards the west. The Gothic chancel, with its narrow lancet windows and a sculpted eagle of the Piast dynasty on the vault keystone, attracts special attention. The church is oriented, which means the chancel faces the east. In the 60s of the previous century, fragments of the original Romanesque church of the twelfth century were discovered by the north side of the chancel: “blind” arcade with low reliefs depicting mermaids, among others.
The church in Zagość is now the only mark of the first foundation of the Order of St. John in the territory of Poland.

SOURCES:
www.diecezja.kielce.pl/parafie/zagosc-sw-jana-chrzciciela
zabytek.pl/pl/obiekty/stara-zagosc-kosciol-joannitow-pw-sw-jana-chrzciciela-ob-par

ZAGOŚĆ – Church of St. John the Baptist

COFUNDED BY THE MINISTER OF CULTURE AND NATIONAL HERITAGE
ORIGINATING FROM CULTURE PROMOTION FUND

Check other objects

ŁYSE – Church of St. Anne

ŁYSE – Church of St. Anne

JASŁO – Collegiate Church of the Assumption of Our Lady

JASŁO – Collegiate Church of the Assumption of Our Lady

KRAMARZEWO – Filial Church of St. Barbara

KRAMARZEWO – Filial Church of St. Barbara

WIZNA – Church of St. John the Baptist

WIZNA – Church of St. John the Baptist

PORĘBY DYMARSKIE – Church of SS. Stanislaus and St. Adalbert

PORĘBY DYMARSKIE – Church of SS. Stanislaus and St. Adalbert

LACHOWICE – Church of SS. Peter and Paul

LACHOWICE – Church of SS. Peter and Paul

KLECZKOWO – Church of St. Lawrence

KLECZKOWO – Church of St. Lawrence

LUTCZA – Church of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven

LUTCZA – Church of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven

KRZECZÓW – Church of St. Adalbert

KRZECZÓW – Church of St. Adalbert

BEREST – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

BEREST – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

ŁOPUSZNA – Church of the Holy Trinity and St. Anthony the Abbot

ŁOPUSZNA – Church of the Holy Trinity and St. Anthony the Abbot

JURGÓW – Church of St. Sebastian and of Our Lady of the Rosary

JURGÓW – Church of St. Sebastian and of Our Lady of the Rosary

SZEBNIE – Church of St. Martin

SZEBNIE – Church of St. Martin

GOGOŁÓW – Church of St. Catherine

GOGOŁÓW – Church of St. Catherine

BARCICE – Church of St. Stanislaus

BARCICE – Church of St. Stanislaus

MAŁA – Church of St. Michael the Archangel

MAŁA – Church of St. Michael the Archangel

SIENIAWA – Church of St. Anthony

SIENIAWA – Church of St. Anthony

CMOLAS – Hospital Church of the Transfiguration of Jesus

CMOLAS – Hospital Church of the Transfiguration of Jesus

CIBORY-KOŁACZKI – Filial Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

CIBORY-KOŁACZKI – Filial Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

ROPICA GÓRNA – Orthodox Church of St. Michael the Archangel

ROPICA GÓRNA – Orthodox Church of St. Michael the Archangel

TRZCINICA – Church of St. Dorothy

TRZCINICA – Church of St. Dorothy

GŁADYSZÓW – Orthodox Church of the Ascension

GŁADYSZÓW – Orthodox Church of the Ascension

BANICA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

BANICA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

MĘCINA WIELKA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

MĘCINA WIELKA – Orthodox Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian

PĘTNA – Orthodox Church of Saint Paraskeva of the Balkans

PĘTNA – Orthodox Church of Saint Paraskeva of the Balkans

BONARÓWKA – Orthodox Church of the Protection of Our Lady

BONARÓWKA – Orthodox Church of the Protection of Our Lady

CIECHOCINEK – Collegiate Church of SS. Peter and Paul the Apostles

CIECHOCINEK – Collegiate Church of SS. Peter and Paul the Apostles

ORAWKA – Church of St. John the Baptist

ORAWKA – Church of St. John the Baptist

ŁANKIEJMY – Roman Catholic church St. John the Baptist

ŁANKIEJMY – Roman Catholic church St. John the Baptist

PARYS – Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

PARYS – Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

KRASKOWO – Church of Częstochowa Mother Of Divine

KRASKOWO – Church of Częstochowa Mother Of Divine

KORSZE – The Roman-Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

KORSZE – The Roman-Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

KONARY – The Roman-Catholic Church of Holy Trinity

KONARY – The Roman-Catholic Church of Holy Trinity

CZERNIKI – Church of  St. John the Evangelist

CZERNIKI – Church of St. John the Evangelist

KAROLEWO – The Parish of St. Stanisław Kostka

KAROLEWO – The Parish of St. Stanisław Kostka

FLORYNKA – Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

FLORYNKA – Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

WARSAW – Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish

WARSAW – Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish

CHOTELEK – Church of St. Stanislaus the Bishop

CHOTELEK – Church of St. Stanislaus the Bishop

ULUCZ – Orthodox Church of Ascension of the Lord

ULUCZ – Orthodox Church of Ascension of the Lord

SROMOWCE NIŻNE – Church of St. Catherine

SROMOWCE NIŻNE – Church of St. Catherine

CHOTEL CZERWONY – Church of St. Bartholomew

CHOTEL CZERWONY – Church of St. Bartholomew

PTASZKOWA – All Saints’ Church

PTASZKOWA – All Saints’ Church

GORYSŁAWICE – Church of St. Lawrence

GORYSŁAWICE – Church of St. Lawrence

TYMOWA – Church of St. Nicholas the Bishop

TYMOWA – Church of St. Nicholas the Bishop

Dobrowoda – St. Mary Magdalene Church

Dobrowoda – St. Mary Magdalene Church

NOWY SĄCZ – St. Helen’s Church

NOWY SĄCZ – St. Helen’s Church

ŁUKOWICA – Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

ŁUKOWICA – Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

Kielce – Catholic church of the Transfiguration of the Lord

Kielce – Catholic church of the Transfiguration of the Lord

LIPNICA MUROWANA – Church. St. Leonard (UNESCO)

LIPNICA MUROWANA – Church. St. Leonard (UNESCO)

KWIATOŃ – Orthodox church of St. Paraskieva

KWIATOŃ – Orthodox church of St. Paraskieva

Rożnowice – the Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

Rożnowice – the Church of St. Andrew the Apostle

Brunary – Orthodox church of St. Of Archangel Michael

Brunary – Orthodox church of St. Of Archangel Michael

Imielno – Church of St. Nicholas and the Most Blessed Virgin Mary

Imielno – Church of St. Nicholas and the Most Blessed Virgin Mary

PRZYDONICA – the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary

PRZYDONICA – the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary

IWKOWA – Church of Visitation of the Virgin Mary

IWKOWA – Church of Visitation of the Virgin Mary

Church of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Rajbrot

Church of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Rajbrot

Wierchomla Wielka – Orthodox church. St. Of Archangel Michael

Wierchomla Wielka – Orthodox church. St. Of Archangel Michael

ZAGOŚĆ – Church of St. John the Baptist

ZAGOŚĆ – Church of St. John the Baptist

Sławęcin – the Church of St. Catherine

Sławęcin – the Church of St. Catherine

Grywałd – Church of St. Martin the Bishop

Grywałd – Church of St. Martin the Bishop

Church of St. Archangel Michael in Dębno Podhalańskie

Church of St. Archangel Michael in Dębno Podhalańskie

DUBNE Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

DUBNE Greek Catholic church of St. Archangel Michael

Powroźnik – Orthodox church St. James the Younger Apostle (UNESCO)

Powroźnik – Orthodox church St. James the Younger Apostle (UNESCO)

Gosprzydowa – the Church of St. Ursula and her companions

Gosprzydowa – the Church of St. Ursula and her companions

Odporyszów – Shrine of Our Lady of Victory

Odporyszów – Shrine of Our Lady of Victory

TROPIE – Sanctuary of the Hermits St. Świerad and St. Benedict

TROPIE – Sanctuary of the Hermits St. Świerad and St. Benedict

SĘKOWA – St. Philip and St. Jacob’s Church

SĘKOWA – St. Philip and St. Jacob’s Church

WIŚLICA – Bazylika kolegiacka pw. Narodzenia Najświętszej Marii Panny

WIŚLICA – Bazylika kolegiacka pw. Narodzenia Najświętszej Marii Panny

MNICHÓW-The Church of St. Stephen Deacon and Martyr

MNICHÓW-The Church of St. Stephen Deacon and Martyr

PROBOŁOWICE St. James’s church

PROBOŁOWICE St. James’s church

Contact

Tel: 500 100 500

fundacja@swiatynia3d.pl

Monday - Friday
10:00 – 17:00

Saturday
10:00 – 14:00

Sunday
closed

Sign temple

Add a report for a 3D walk

1 + 10 =

Accessibility
Facebook3k
YouTube220